12/14/2015

Room.


On last Monday night in Prague, my host took me to see a Canadian film called "Room". I had already seen the trailer and decided it was way too sad for me, but since I was invited I couldn't really say no, and I'm actually glad I couldn't.



It was, without a doubt, the most beautiful, heart-wrenchingly sad and yet somehow uplifting film I have seen in a long time.



It's fairly quiet, there are no flashy effects or anything, it simply tells the story of a mother and her son, who are being held captive by a man. They are living in "room", which is the inside of a garden shed. The boy, who is called Jack, was born there and doesn't know anything else but the inside of this shed. He knows he has to hide in the cupboard, when their captor Nick comes every night to rape his mum. And he knows that he loves his mother very much. But the outside world is a mistery to him.



The story focuses on Jacks view of things, of the room and their flight and the new world they both discover outside. It's unbelievably gripping and I have rarely cried this much in a movie theater. Also: the actors are wonderful, especially the boy who plays Jack. You never for a second see the actor behind the role.

Since this is an independent movie, there aren't a lot of cinemas that show it, but if you get the chance - go see it! I promise, you won't regret it!

No comments:

Post a Comment