10/20/2015

"They will call me Miss Hockey. I will be the greatest."


As a feminist AND a hockey fan, the fact that there is now a professional hockey league for women (that also pays them!) kinda makes my heart sing. The NWHL kicked off last week and that seriously is a cause for celebration and reason enough for me to open the champagne before lunchtime.



Up until now, young girls in the US could only hope to be that insanely good at ice hockey, that they might be drafted by a minor league mens team "somewhere in Europe" or they could stop playing the sport they loved and do "something girly" instead.

Right now, there are four teams and one of them even has my personal favourite 'Rosie the Riveter' as a logo! Let's hope they get enough media attention and paying viewers to keep going!



(click picture for source)

No comments:

Post a Comment