7/15/2014

“Dangerously well’— what an irony is this: it expresses precisely the doubleness, the paradox, of feeling ‘too well”



So, the season of driving the fuck far away and hide on a remote island for two weeks is upon us. And I am already hoarding books for August, when I get to lie on a beach for approximately 22 hours a day, with a book in one hand and a cool drink in the other. Since my brain pretty much goes into overdrive when I'm on holiday and I tend to stare blankly at stuff a lot, I need books that even a gorilla could read. Only problem is: I hate really obviously stupid books.

So far, I have a picked a few new books that I am hopeful are good, and also a few all-time favourites to re-read this summer. And in case you need some inspiration for your holidays (or your lazy afternoons at the pool), here you go:


Robert Galbraith - The Silkworm


Second one that J.K. Rowling wrote as her alias "Robert Galbraith". It's a crime novel, so it's no Dickens or Shakespeare, but Rowlings ridiculously thorough, detailed way to narrate stuff is basically a guarantee that this will be as awesome as the first one.


Oliver Sacks - The man who mistook his wife for a hat


I actually found this one in a bookshop and started reading it right there. And I did that thing, where you laugh out loud to the entire room and little children start to stare at you, fear etched into their faces. So I bought the book and hurried out of the store. Now it's in my "books for the holidays" box and awaits reading. It's written by a neurologist who recounts stories of his old patients. Which sounds slightly creepy, but is actually superfunny and very well written.


Kurt Vonnegut - Slaughterhouse Five


I'll finally read this one. My best friend said it was one of the best books she had read in a long time, so her word will have to suffice for now.


Tony Hawks - Round Ireland with a fridge


It's exactly what it sounds like: Some bloke lost a bet and has to travel around Ireland with a tiny fridge in his luggage. I read this book while on holiday, when I ran out of my books and my friend's mum lend me one of hers. I wasn't convinced at first, but after 10 pages I was hooked. Awesome book!



Here are some other books I can only recommend. And also here.

(pictures taken from the Amazon links above)

No comments:

Post a Comment