11/04/2013

"That's the trouble, I can't forget him. He was everything to me, except mine."

Since we had a particularly grey, rainy, stormy and altogether obismal weekend and my family got me a new tv for my birthday, I watched a lot of television. For me, there is no better autumn treat than to come home at the end of the day, put on my fanciest pyjama (that's right, I got fancy pyjamas!), make myself a hot bowl of soup and curl up on the couch. Preferably with a gripping tv show I haven't yet seen, a nice glass of red wine and someone to discuss the storylines with.

Lately I have been watching a lot of period dramas, and I thought I might show you some of my favourites. Get ready for some lace gloves, handsome men and stylish ladies! Alas, we commence!


Downton Abbey

http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/originals/e0/e5/a4/e0e5a4ffabe8e1981266be7453ad9714.jpg

http://media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/a0/24/4e/a0244e36d9a8bbf304fe228ef14d2e4b.jpg

The mothership of all period dramas, Downton is ridiculously gripping with an ensemble cast that is so good, it will blow your socks right off! Sure, it's completely bonkers with crazy plotlines, fainting ladies and people who get angry about someone wearing a lunch jacket to dinner, but it also has Maggie Smith in it, who gets to deliver the funniest and wittiest one-liners you will ever hear in a period drama. And there are handsome drivers, lovely Cousin Matthew (Oh, cousin Matthew... lovely Cousin Matthew...) and devious maids. It's all you could ever ask for and more. The only downside to it is the show's tendency to kill off a lot of important characters. It's almost like watching Game of Thrones, only with tea cups and Scones instead of dragons...






Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries

http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/originals/15/9e/6c/159e6cba7e6f1d13697a921dba605aee.jpg

http://www.tumblr.com/explore

The only Australian show I watch and one of my personal favourites overall. A friend of mine told me to watch it, because of the pretty costumes. These costumes are pretty spectacular, it's true, but it's not why you stick with it. You bulk watch it because it is easy breezy, with jazz music from the 1920s, frilly dresses and a kick-ass lady detective. Oh yeah, and the inspector is pretty hot. It's not too exciting and basically the best thing to watch when you can't bring yourself to watch the serious political drama you've been telling yourself to definitely watch next. It's the tv equivalent to a cup of hot chocolate: sweet, comforting and altogether lovely.





Call the Midwife

http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/originals/cf/a3/d5/cfa3d561421e51bf6d9c3223e2341e5f.jpg

http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/originals/b9/78/ef/b978efaf8bfd61f00f227075310662c4.jpg

Let's all be frank here - I might just as well dedicate an entire blog to the matter of the ingenuity of a certain tv channel called the BBC. One of the countless brilliant shows that this channel has produced and broadcast is Call The Midwife, a period drama set in 1950s East London. It follows the lives of a handful of young nurses and midwives who live in a convent and help the - mostly poor - mothers and women of the London East End. It's heartwrenching and gripping and interesting and funny. It contains a lot of petticoats and violet scented cigarettes and men in suspenders. It has lovestories and friendships, gruesome fates and is massively interesting from a medical viewpoint. For example - I had no idea, that women in labour used to get enemas before giving birth. Not that I ever wanted to know that, but hey ho! Also, it starrs the unbelievably awesome Miranda Hart. Reason enough to watch this!






The Paradise

https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/556614_659544327396725_137983158_n.jpg

http://prettithings.tumblr.com/post/37293625737

My newest addiction, also homecooked by the BBC. It centers around the people working at 'The Paradise', a department store in 1875 in Britain. With a cast consisting of completely unknown faces, they have created a show that is like a Jane Austen novel, just not as annoying. There is a new girl, coming from a tiny village somewhere in Scotland, who starts to work at The Paradise, immeadiately catching the eye of the mysterious, handsome and widowed owner of the store. There are secrets and lies and attractions all over the place and it had me hooked after the first five minutes. I have been binge watching this for the past three nights and I can not, will not stop!





A little while back, I also wrote about A Young Doctor's Notebook, which you should definitely watch as well. A very funny Daniel Radcliffe and a very funny Jon Hamn. ♥

(click pictures for source)

No comments:

Post a Comment