9/19/2013

Pumpkin risotto



Every year around autumn the same two things keep happening to me: first, I get really into pumpkin soup. I make a giant pot full and I eat it daily for around two weeks. Then, in less than a day, I get so sick of that stuff, that I never ever want to have pumpkin soup ever again. Which is really sad, because actually, pumpkin is delicious and healthy and a cheap and easy way to fill your belly for days.
So, to prevent myself from getting a pumpkin soup overdose again, I tried to make some other things with pumpkin. For example this brilliant pumpkin risotto. I found the recipe on Abeautifulmess and loved it so much, I thought I would just share it with you here. I transferred all the measurements to the metrical system and added some more cheese. Because - DUH! - cheese rules, we all know that.

You need pumpkin puree to make it, and since you can't buy that stuff in cans outside of the US, I simply chopped the pumpkin in large bits, boiled them in water until it was really soft, rinsed it and puréed the crap out of it with my blender. I filled the puree I didn't need into a clean container and kept it in the fridge. It stays fresh for at least a week that way.




Pumpkin Risotto

1 onion, finely (!) chopped
2 cloves of garlic
2-3 Tbl olive oil
225g risotto rice
720ml vegetable stock
120ml white wine
60g grated Parmesan cheese (you can also take Gruyère, if you prefer a stronger taste)
250g pumpkin puree
salt and pepper





Sautee the chopped onion and garlic in a large pot with the olive oil, until they start to soften. Add the rice and stir vigorously, so it doesn't get burned. In another pot, gently heat up the stock and white wine. When the rice starts to look a little see through, go ahead and add a little of the fluid to the rice and stir. The rice will now slowly absorb the stock and wine. When most of it is absorbed, add some more. You do that for around 15-20 minutes, until the rice is soft outside and a little hard inside. I don't like my rice too hardcored, but that's everybody's own business. The whole time, it's very important that you stir like a mad person, because the rice will otherwise burn and ruin the whole endeavour. If you run out of stock, add a little water.
When the thing is fully done, add the pumpkin puree and the cheese and stir some more. Aaand done! I had my risotto with a side of sauteed beans, but green asparagus or a salad would go very well with it as well.



No comments:

Post a Comment