9/18/2013

books



This summer I read a TON of books. 18 to be precise. And I loved most of them. And since autumn is actually a way better time to read than summer (less sun, more rain, better excuses to lie on your couch in your pyjamas all day and read whilst drinking hot tea), and I am lying on my couch with a bitch bastard of the flu right now, I thought I might recommend a few of my favourites to y'all.

Truman Capote - In cold blood
I started my summer holidays with this modern classic by Truman Capote. In it, he tells the true story of a family being murdered by two men and their subsequent capture and trial. It is a tough book to read, because the overall mood of the book can only be described as 'gloomy' and even when you lie on a sunny beach, you get the chills. But it is also enormously gripping, beautifully written and would probably go great with a rainy autumn evening in front of a fireplace.

Alissa Nutting - Tampa
After the gloomy Capote-book, I thought I would go for something lighter, but then I ended up reading this one. Tampa is the story of a female high school teacher, who is a pedophile and 'seduces' several of her male students. There is a brilliant article on Jezebel about the book and writer, which you should read. And you should also read the book, even though it will creep the shit out of you!


J.K. Rowling - The Casual Vacancy
I finally read it. Up until now, I was scared of reading this book, because J.K. Rowling is my hero and my spirit animal and I'm gonna name my babies after fictional characters of her invention. So the stakes for this book were unbelievably high. But - dear readers, you can calm yourselves - she delivered. Like. A. Boss. It's an awesome book about a city council election in a small, insignificant town in the UK, which sounds like "YAWN", but it's fantastic. I couldn't stop reading it and finished it in under 48 hours. Buy it. Read it. Thank me later.

Robert Gailbraith - The Cuckoo's Calling
I might just as well have called this blog entry "The genius that is J.K. Rowling", because even this one is written by her. She used an alias to write this crime novel, and this only came to light because a lot of critics wondered how a complete newcomer could write such a good novel. It was literally too good to be true! The sequel to it is already written and will come out sometime 2014, and I will buy it and inhale it, just like I inhaled this one. When someone with an enormous sense for small details writes a crime novel, it has to be good. When that someone is JKR, it has to be a-mazing, and it is!

 
George R.R. Martin - A Game of Thrones
Yeah, I know, I said I wouldn't read it but now I did and I'm a big nerd and I'll probably go to some geeky convention next, bla bla... Say what you will, but that stuff is catchy. I devoured the first two books in under a week (roughly 1000 pages each...) and have just finished the third. And what can I say... It's not something I would put on a shelf to showcase it along with my most beloved books, but it's enormous fun to read. Enormous fun! And winter is coming, so you should start reading, like, now.





No comments:

Post a Comment