8/01/2013

Books



I am planning to spend big parts of my summer lying somewhere with my nose deep in some awesome book. And since I have already read a few fantastic books in the past months, I will recommend some of them to you. Because that's the kind of loving, caring and altogether wonderful person I am! (Self-flattering? Yes, it's a personal hobby of mine...)

RJ Palacio - Wonder
Hands down the sweetest book I have read in a very very long time! I had the Swedish audiobook version on my drive back home and it made the long drive seem a lot shorter. The story revolves around 10-year-old August Pullman, who lives with his family in upstate New York. August has been born with a facial deformity and doesn't look like the average boy his age. Up to the beginning of the story, he has been homeschooled, but now it is time for him to go to a real school. This triggers a lot of things in him and in the people around him. The story is told from changing perspectives, and is so captivating, I couldn't stop listening to it. Definitely my favourite summer read this year!

D.H. Lawrence - Sons and Lovers
I force myself to read at least one classic a month, but for this one I didn't need much self discipline to be honest. D.H. Lawrence is probably most popular for his novel 'Lady Chatterley's Lover', but 'Sons and Lovers' is an awesome read and has made it into my list of all-time favourites. The novel deals with young Paul and his mother, who have a disturbingly close relationship with each other. Still Paul is looking for romantic love and his mother makes him choose. Considering the fact that this book was written over a hundred years ago, it is filled with incredibly filthy bits. We're talking full-on sex scenes here (Helloooouuu reading fun!). But, apart from the sexy stuff, the language of the novel is so breathtakingly beautiful, you kinda want to have the pages framed.

Caitlin Moran - Moranthology
This woman could shit on a page and I would love it, so I can't really be objective here. Moranthology is simply a collection of some of her funniest columns and articles she has written for The Times of London. It's hilarious. And witty. And smart. And I LOVE THAT WOMAN.


Also, here are a few books I have not yet read, but they are on my list for this summer:

1. Alissa Nutting - Tampa
2. Clare Mulley - The Spy Who Loved
3. Kurt Vonnegut - Slaughterhouse Five
4. J. K. Rowling - A Casual Vacancy
5. John Green - Looking for Alaska


And some of my all-time favourite-I-read-them-at-least-once-a-year-books

1. Kurt Tucholsky - Castle Gripsholm
2. Harper Lee- To kill a mockingbird
3. Ray Bradbury - Fahrenheit 451
4. Otfried Preu├čler - Krabat
5. Tove Jansson - Sommarboken

No comments:

Post a Comment