3/25/2013

Time for heroes: Caitlin Moran

I thought it would be nice to present a few of my heroes on this blog. It's great to have people you can adore and look up to and it's always nice to be inspired. So let's kick it off with one of my favourite heroes - Caitlin Moran.

(Picture taken from here)

Being enthusiastic about something is exhausting. Because when you are prone to exaggerations - like me - people often won't believe you just how incredibly mindblowing something really is. That's why, last summer on holiday with my family in Hungary, I got unbelievably frustrated when I read Caitlin Morans book "How to be a woman". That book was so good, I wanted to read parts of it to someone whilst carrying a facial expression that said "Right? RIGHT????" every five minutes. I wanted to write every other sentence on walls, in huge, red letters, like Brian in "Life of Brian" in the part where he writes "Romani ite domum" a thousand times on the walls of the palace. But unfortunately my 15-year-old sister didn't get it, my stepmum was busy enough with falling asleep in the sun and my dad - well, female waxing politics are nothing I want to discuss with my dad, so he was out, too. Instead I kept reading the book to myself, giggling hysterically. That's how good it is! I highlighted most of my copy, which made it look like it was owned by a raver kid who is obsessed with neon yellow...
Moran writes about what she thinks it is to be a woman. She does it in a particularly brilliant style, because she is hilarious and dead serious at the same time. She will make you pee your pants a bit with her thoughts on waxing your private areas and the next second she'll make you cry. She touches every important area of womanhood and life in general. Periods, armpit hair, body image, giving birth, having an abortion, dealing with sexism, getting a job, getting married - it all gets a spin!

 (picture taken from here)

It is very rare, that a book turns your perception of yourself, the world and your entire gender identity a tiny bit upside down. So when it happens, it is a big deal. I wouldn't say that I was not a feminist before I read the book. To be honest, it wasn't a big question for me. Sure I was a feminist. I thought that I was equal to most men I knew. Maybe I couldn't lift heavy objects, but I was pretty good at opening beer bottles with a lighter and I believed in the female right to vote, so, that's being feminist, right?! - Well, yeah, kind of. But reading a book about what it really is to be a woman, to deal with sexism on a daily basis and to say "I'm a feminist!" without feeling like a huge twat, was an eye opener. I can't even really explain why, but that book was the best thing I read in the past few years! To be honest, I bought about seven copies of the book at once and gave them to nearly all of my female friends. I suggest you all do the same!

 (picture taken from here)


1 comment:

  1. PRECIS SÅ kännde jag när jag läste "How to be a woman". PRECIS SÅ. Ett extremt behov av att pausa efter varje mening och föreläsa alla i rummet om varför det var så förbannat genialiskt.
    Det var bara det jag ville säga. :)

    ReplyDelete